Individual priests have a very wide variety of tasks within the Church.
The majority of diocesan priests serve in parishes, celebrating Holy Mass for the people, preaching, hearing confessions, caring for the sick and teaching children and adults to live as true Christians!
Priests teach people the truths of the Catholic Faith, the truths about Faith and Morals that Jesus has given to us.
Priests guide, unite, and encourage their parishioners.
Priests administer the sacraments and help people to grow in holiness and faith.
Priests’ duties include:
- Celebrate Mass and preach the Gospel
- Lead a parish of Catholic Christians
- Bring new members into the Church through Baptism
- Hear Confessions and provide spiritual direction
- Help teens and young adults come to know Christ
- Prepare couples for marriage and counsel married couples
- Teach people how to pray
- Feed the poor, visit prisons, and advocate for justice
- Counsel people going through difficult times
- Visit the sick in hospitals and anoint them for healing
- Celebrate funeral masses and bury the dead
- Manage the temporal affairs of the parish
- Pray daily for the People of God